Skin cancer is one of the most common dermatological conditions seen in general practice – and it is not overly complex to manage if you have the right skill set. This certificate course has been specifically designed for time-poor general practitioners wishing to acquire the knowledge required to safely and confidently diagnose and treat commonly encountered skin lesions.
This course is the first part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.
Based on your feedback, we will ensure all certificate courses with practical components continue to be available for completion to you with modifications to the delivery format. We are working hard to ensure you receive our usual high-quality education under unusual circumstances. Thank you for your understanding and support, and please don’t hesitate to contact our team of Education Advisors for more information.
GAIN A SNEAK PEEK INTO THE COURSE
The course provides training in skin cancer medicine and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. Course participants can choose to complete the course entirely online or with an optional practical workshop.
- Skin anatomy and histology
- Diagnosis with dermoscopy
- Benign and malignant skin lesions
- Melanoma management
- Punch and shave biopsies*
- Elliptical excisions and suturing*
- Topical treatment options
- Workflow and Medicare billing
All topics are covered online and during the web live tutorials. *These topics are also covered during the hands-on practical sessions in the optional skills workshop.
The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine comprises of three parts, featuring 1) flexible online learning at your own pace, 2) interactive live web tutorials with additional content and demonstrations of procedures as well as 3) an optional small group practical workshop.
Start your online studies anytime and complete the eight modules at your own pace. The video lectures cover clinical theory, demonstrations of procedures and case study discussions and are set up in such a way that you are not required to be online at specific times but can view and replay the video lectures at your convenience. Exam extensions available to suit your busy schedule.
LIVE WEB TUTORIALS
Reinforce your learning and ask any questions you might have in four interactive webinars with the presenters, covering real patient case discussions and additional video demonstrations of procedures that you can follow along in your office or home. The tutorials offer the opportunity to join and interact with the presenters online in real-time and can also be reviewed later.
To cement your knowledge, attend an optional practical workshop available at select locations across Australia. The workshops offer the ideal opportunity to apply theory in practice and are delivered in a small group setting with demonstrations and hands-on skills practice of various procedures on pork parts and simulated models under expert supervision and guidance.
Entry Requirements and course requisites
The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine is the ideal starting point for medical professionals who wish to build their core knowledge in skin cancer management and acquire vital diagnostic skills and basic management techniques to provide effective care to patients with skin cancer concerns. Participants will learn proven techniques to independently and confidently diagnose and treat skin lesions in primary care.
The course is suitable for medical doctors, International Medical Graduates, nurses and nurse practitioners. It assumes no prior knowledge or training in the field, although HealthCert recommends that participants have some exposure to skin cancer management before enrolling in this course.
Participants do not have to pass an IELTS test but, as the courses are delivered in English, proficiency in listening, reading and writing in English is assumed.
For your one-off investment, you will receive unlimited access to all course content, additional learning materials, ongoing post-course support and more.
- Online pre-course activity to be completed in your own time.
- Eight online video modules to be viewed, replayed and completed at your convenience.
- All presentation slides and further learning materials available for permanent access and download.
- Instruments and consumables for practical sessions in the optional practical workshop.
- Post-course online assessment to be completed in your own time within six months of the cohort.
- Ongoing post-course support in monthly webinars with the opportunity to discuss cases with course presenters.
- Access to the HealthCert Alumni Portal with additional free learning opportunities, special offers and other benefits.
COURSE OUTLINE: ONE-DAY PRACTICAL WORKSHOP
The first four course modules can be completed entirely online OR in a practical Saturday or Sunday workshop. The below time table refers to the practical workshops delivered on Saturdays or Sundays.
|8:00am - 8:30am||Registration|
|8:30am - 10:00am||Session 1||The foundations
|10:00am - 10:30am||Morning Tea|
|10:30am - 12:00pm||Session 2a||
An approach to pigmented skin lesions
|12:00am - 12:30pm||Session 2b||
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||Lunch|
|1:30pm - 3:00pm||Session 3||
|3:00pm - 3:30pm||Afternoon Tea|
|3:00pm - 5:00pm||Session 4||
Skin cancer diagnosis and treatment
The last four course modules must be completed entirely online in addition to the first four modules completed online OR in a practical Saturday or Sunday workshop.
Session 5: Dermatopathology
Session 6: Topical treatment options
Session 7: Medicare billing
Session 8: Skin cancer business management
FULLY ONLINE –
START STUDIES ANYTIME
JOIN COHORT 3
SPECIAL RATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
Prof David Wilkinson
MBChB MSc MD PhD DSc MRCP FRACGP FACRRM FAFPHM
Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Engagement, Macquarie University
Professor David Wilkinson is a registered general practitioner and public health medicine specialist. He is the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Macquarie University. Since 2004, David’s clinical work has focused on skin cancer medicine in primary care. He has published research papers on the topic, designed and led development of the only Master of Medicine degree in skin cancer, and helped develop and present a suite of skin cancer short courses delivered by HealthCert.
Dr Hamilton Ayres
BA, BSc, BMBS, FRACGP
Skin Cancer Doctor, National Skin Cancer Centres, Monash
Dr Hamilton Ayres worked in Adelaide as a Plastic Surgery Registrar at Flinders, Repatriation General Hospital and the Royal Adelaide Hospital where his main role was the management of trauma, hand injuries and difficult skin cancers. Hamilton has obtained a Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and Certificates in Skin Cancer Medicine, Dermatoscopy and Histopathology from HealthCert and The University of Queensland School of Medicine.
Dr Simon Clark
MBChB FRCPA Specialist
Honorary Lecturer in Pathology, The University of Queensland
Dr Simon Clark runs the pathology component of the postgraduate certificate courses in skin cancer medicine at The University of Queensland and lectures in the Masters of Medicine course. He has been involved in dermatopathology education for more than 20 years, training registrars in dermatology, pathology and plastic surgery. More recently he has been active in GP education. One of the best known dermatopathologists in Australia, Simon was recently appointed a visiting professor in dermatology at the Tehran University of Medical Sciences.
Mr Paul Elmslie
Founder and CEO of HealthCert International
Paul is a pioneer of the sub-specialised skin cancer clinic model and has built a network of dedicated skin cancer referral centres and training facilities across Australia, including the National Skin Cancer Centres. In 2006, Paul founded HealthCert, a global organisation dedicated to improving access to skin cancer diagnosis and treatment. With over 10,000 GPs from 32 countries trained, Paul has taken HealthCert to become the world's leading skin cancer education provider for primary care practitioners.
Mr Matt Woollard
Chief Operations Officer, National Skin Cancer Centres
Born and educated in Adelaide, a true entrepreneur, Matt Woollard has run various businesses in the areas of advertising, entertainment and retail.
Matt began his career in skin cancer in 2000 as the second employee of Skin Alert. He worked alongside Paul Elmslie to grow the company to 14 skin cancer clinics throughout Australia in seven years.
Matt has worked as a consultant in education with companies like HealthCert, Notre Dame Australia, University of Melbourne, The University of Queensland, Zimmer, NSW Health and the RACGP.
Matt is now the Chief Operations Officer of National Skin Cancer Centres (NSCC). Established in 2016, NSCC builds and operates skin cancer clinics across Australia, starting out with just one centre and now expanding to eight, with another 22 scheduled to join the group.
Matt’s area of expertise in the industry is operations, based on a very strong understanding of skin cancer medicine including all aspects of Medicare in primary care.
DELIVERY FORMAT 1: ONE-DAY PRACTICAL COURSE + ONLINE THEORETICAL COMPONENT
There are eight units in a HealthCert Professional Certificate program. Course participants will have permanent access to all learning materials. There will be pre-reading activities, an intensive one-day practical workshop with expert demonstrations and practical hands-on activities, online materials and further readings, individual assessment tasks and finally two online examinations.
What you get for your one-off investment:
- Online pre-course activity (to be completed in your own time prior to the course component).
- One-day practical workshop including catering.
- 4 course modules to be completed online at your convenience.
- All materials including surgical instruments and consumables for practical sessions.
- Receive all presentation slides available for download.
- Additional online training in dermoscopy.
- 8 video-based lectures for reference and review for life.
- Post-course online assessment (to be completed in your own time within three months of attending the program).
- Post-course support in monthly webinars with the opportunity to discuss cases with course presenters.
DELIVERY FORMAT 2: COURSE COMPLETION ENTIRELY ONLINE
For delegates who are unable to attend the face-to-face two-day program due to timetable conflicts or travel distance, we offer a 100% online training option. We offer a ‘start anytime online’ course structure, which gives flexible start and completion times for studies, as well as exam extensions, to fit in with busy schedules. Upon registration, you will be able to access all learning contents immediately and complete the certificate course online. If you would then like to cement your knowledge, you have the option to attend the one-day practical workshop anytime that suits you (at an additional cost).
You can enjoy the flexibility to study at your own pace, in your own time, within your home or office, and on your favourite mobile device. The modules are set up in such a way that you are not required to be online at specific times but can view and replay the video lectures at your convenience. The webinars offer the opportunity to join and interact with the presenters online in real-time but can also be viewed later. There are no face-to-face requirements for exams which can be conveniently completed online within six months of the start of the cohort. With no travel, accommodation or out-of-office expenses incurred, you can build critical skills and tailor your career while working in a busy practice or raising a family.
What you get for your one-off investment:
- 8 video lectures, including video demonstrations of procedures.
- All presentation slides available for download.
- Additional online training in dermoscopy (100 image quiz using the Three-Point Checklist).
- Mandatory case studies for each of the eight modules.
- Post-course online assessment (to be completed in your own time within six months of attending the program).
- Post-course support in monthly webinars with the opportunity to discuss cases with course presenters.
In order to meet the requirements of professional and academic learning, the course assessment includes a professional requirement and two online examinations.
- Develop a report/explanation of how you will use the learning from this course in your professional work.
- 88 knowledge questions based on a scenario of a medical practitioner undertaking special interest training.
- 11 per module
Example: The medical practitioner believes that 10% of the population … Is he correct? Yes/No
- 11 per module
- 100 Three-Point Checklist authentic clinical and dermoscopic images multiple choice questions – decide if each benign or suspicious (there is also a practice exam for the Three-Point Checklist where you can see the answers immediately).
The knowledge-based examination is worth 50 per cent and the application-based examination is worth 50 per cent. The overall pass mark is 80 per cent. It is therefore not possible to pass this course on knowledge alone. Knowledge must be successfully applied to patient cases in order to pass the course.
CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION
Upon successful completion of the course requirements, course participants will receive the Professional Certificate
Online + practical workshopRACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 Points
- PDP units: 27 Educational activity, 18 Performance review
- MOPs points: 16
- 1 day under the Surgery Rural Procedural Training Grant
- Provides CPD points from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).
- Provides PDP points from the Australian Council of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM).
- Is recognised by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is recognised by the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians (HKCFP). The HKCFP recognises all courses
endorsed by the RACGP. Points are calculated differently.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Dubai. The number of CPD points must be stated on the certificate. Please contact PLD@dhcr.gov.ae for more information.
- Is a self-submitted activity in the UK. CPD events overseas, applicable to a doctor’s scope of practice, may be submitted for revalidation. Please confirm with your Responsible Officer.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Canada through the College of Family Physicians of Canada. Category 1 points are reported as certified and Category 2 points are reported as non-certified. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Meets World Federation of Medical Education standards.
- Is recognised by the Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Membership or Fellowship.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.
- Has been independently developed with subject specialists and does not receive education grants from any pharmaceutical company.
Professional Diploma Pathway
This course is the first stage of the three-part professional diploma pathway. The full pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.
It is recommended that this qualification be used as part of an application for Membership or Fellowship with the Skin Cancer Institute.
Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology
Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology studied through the Rila Institute of Health Sciences and awarded by the University of Plymouth (UK).
There are three modules in the Postgraduate Diploma. Medical professionals who successfully complete the HealthCert Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer
The Postgraduate Diploma is mainly delivered online. No practical workshops will be required due to the APCL from the HealthCert qualifications. Overall there will be a time saving of 40 per cent of the postgraduate program due to the APCL. Exams will be held in Perth, Western Australia.
When the Postgraduate Diploma has been successfully completed, medical professionals can apply for credit from the Postgraduate Diploma to the Master of Science in the specialism awarded by the University of Plymouth.
Certified Clinical Attachments Pathway
Doctors participating the Skin Cancer Medicine program can attend a HealthCert Clinical Attachment at a specialist clinic or university teaching hospital to further refine and enhance their professional knowledge. A HealthCert Australian Clinical Attachment is recommended as the first clinical attachment and a HealthCert International Clinical Attachment is recommended for subsequent clinical attachments.